Disabled individuals who receive one of the following benefits at the specific rates may be able to exchange their mobility allowance to lease a new car, scooter or powered wheelchair.
You may be eligible if you receive one of:
· The Higher Rate Mobility Component of the Disability Living Allowance (£55.25 a week)
· The Enhanced Rate of the Mobility Component of the Personal Independence Payment (£55.25 a week)
· Armed Forces Independence Payment (£55.25)
· War Pensioners’ Mobility Supplement (£61.75)
The Attendance Allowance cannot be used to lease a car through Motability.
Of the 2000 types of car available, 450 cost no more than your weekly allowance, and so will therefore not cost any more money. For the more expensive cars, an advanced payment will be needed.
This scheme allows for the individual to receive various benefits instead of receiving mobility allowance:
· A brand new car or vehicle every 3 years.
· Included servicing and maintenance
· Full breakdown assistance from RAC
· Annual Car Tax organised for you
· Many adaptions at no extra cost
· Window and windscreen repair
· 60000 mileage allowance over the 3 years.
There is no upper age limit. The individual must have at least 12 months award length remaining.
Parents or guardians can order a car on behalf of a child aged 3 or over who is receiving the Higher Rate Mobility Component of the Disability Living Allowance.
As part of the lease, 2 named drivers can be included. Neither have to be the individual who receives the benefit and they don’t even have to be able to drive. Although, nominated drivers should live within 5 miles of the disabled customers address. Only 1 nominated driver under the age of 21 is permitted.
A 3rd named driver can be added at an additional cost.
Use the link below to find out more information and to also request the exchange to occur.http://www.motability.co.uk/understanding-the-scheme/how-it-works/